An Open Letter to Parents, Guardians, and the Milford Elementary Community:
Happy New Year Milford Lakers! 😊
We are very excited to welcome all new and returning students to our school for the 2020-2021 school year! We know there have been many challenges since we were together. During the spring closure of our schools, you worked diligently to ensure your child continued learning and making progress academically. We know this was in addition to your own challenges and work schedules. You are amazing!!
Things will be a bit different this year, but together we can make this a great school year! Our Laker staff and USD 475 have been working hard making plans for the upcoming school year. Some of the changes are listed below. Our staff will continue to engage students academically at a high level, while maintaining a safe learning environment.
• Our staff has been collaborating to create a re-entry plan that will ensure the safety of all students, staff and family members. Your children are your most prized possession and we will do ALL that we can to protect them and keep them safe. The final plan will be placed on our webpage on August 24. Help your children understand that school may not look like it has in the past and that many things have changed, but our love for them hasn’t (even if they can’t see our smiles 😊😊).
• In accordance with Health Department Guidelines, we will be requiring that face masks be worn by anyone on school grounds. It is our earnest hope to follow every precaution in order to keep our school open so that we can make up for lost time with our students. Help your child become accustomed to wearing a mask. All masks don’t feel the same, so please make sure your child is comfortable in the type of mask that you have purchased before the first day of school.
• Water fountains will not be in service. Students will fill water bottles using our water filling station. The Milford PTO has purchased a water bottle for each student at school. Also, please make sure that all school supplies that you send to school are labeled with your child’s name as we will not be able to share materials.
• As much as we enjoy having the opportunity to visit with each of you, we will not be able to have open access to our building. We will work to respond to your needs through the telephone, email or Zoom. We will always be accessible to you, but just in a different way.
• All communication will come to you through Skyward, so please make certain that you have your correct email address listed. We don’t want you to miss any important information.
These changes will not stop us from caring for your child, educating your child and showing love for your child daily! We will be creative and find fun new ways to replace hugs, handshakes and high fives. Thank you for being our partner in the academic success and safety of your child. Please don’t hesitate to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (785) 717-4173 if you have questions.
Our first day will be a half day for Grades 1 – 5. The first day of school for Kindergarten will be on September 3 and this will be a full day. Enjoy the rest of your summer. We can’t wait to see you.
Mrs. Phyllis Boller, Principal